Saturday, July 24, 2010

Conversation last night!

I don't have any pictures of this AMAZING conversation last nigh but hopefully you will get the picture.

I was outside working in the yard last night picking up bricks from a pile and stacking them nicely. (It has needed done for QUITE a while now!)I reached down and picked one up and underneath it, curled up, was a snake. Being the good mom that I am, I ran in the house and hollered for the boys to get shoes on and come outside. Jenn came out of her room asking what was going on. I told her to get back in her room and told the boys to hurry up and to grab a shovel. She said "There's a snake out there isn't there?" I said "Just stay in your room." She is TERRIBLY afraid of snakes, won't even watch them on TV. Of course she started getting upset because this was out by where she parks her car!!

Matt grabs a shovel, Pete is getting his shoes on and we head to the brick pile. The following is the conversation:

Pete: "Don't kill it!! I'll just move it!"
Matt: "Whatever"
Me: "There it is!"
Matt: "We can't get the shovel in there, we'll have to move some bricks"
Pete: "OHHH it's just a little things, I can pick it up!"
Matt: "It will bite you!"
Pete: "I'll grab it's tail, it's right there"
Snake moves.
Pete, Matt and me: Hurry! It's getting away! get it!It's going in the bricks!
It goes and goes!
Pete:"It's bigger than I thought!"
Stab! Jab! too may bricks to get it.
Jen: "Did you kill it?"
Matt: "Not yet"
Jenn: "I am trading one of you parking places!"
All: Where is it? Where did it go?
Pete and Matt think it went this way. Matt is on the brick pile.
Pete: "Matt start moving bricks!"
Matt starts throwing bricks saying "If that thing comes at me I'm killing it!"
Pete: "No! It's just a bull snake, not very old. I'll move it. They eat mice and will keep rattlesnakes away."
Matt: "I don't care, if it tries to bite me I'm killing it"
Jenn: "Kill it! Kill it!"
Jenn is standing on the basketball hoop base.
Can't find it. "Did it get away?" Keep Looking!
"There it is" Don't kill it" Kill it" Matt jabs it's head with the rounded shovel but can't keep it still.
"Somebody go grab the flat shovel"
I go running to get it and my flip flop flies off so I am running hopping to the shed but need to hurry before it gets away again. In the background Jenn is yelling to kill it.
I grab the shovel and run/hop back and hand it to Peter. The snake is mad and hissing. The shovel round shovel slips off it's neck but Matt gets it again. They try to cut it's head with the other shovel but there are still bricks in the way.They use the shovel to move some bricks. Snake is VERY mad and wiggling and coiling and all the stuff mad snakes do!
They get a little more room and have it against a brick. They try the straight shovel again but it obviously isn't sharp because the snake is still alive. It is trying to get away from Matt with the rounded shovel and he is holding it.
Matt:"Pete do you have a knife on you?"
Pete: "No don't you?"
Matt: "No!"
But, goodness, they are standing on a pile of bricks so Peter grabs one and throws it at it's head which made it REALLY happy I'm sure!
They finally just start jabbing at it with the straight shovel while holding it with the rounded one.Jenn is still in the background yelling "kill it! Is it dead yet? Kill it!"
The snake is bleeding and slow. They pick it up with the shovel.
Pete: "Wow that was a lot bigger than I thought!"
The took it to the alley and tried to cut it's head off there. Needless to say none of my shovels are sharp so this took quite some time. In the meantime, Devon showed up because he and Pete are going to the movie. He just watches, though.
Jenn : "can I jab it"
Both boys "NO!"
They finally got the head off.
Matt took it and threw it over by the railroad tracks.
Pete picked up the body. It was about 2 1/2 to 3 ft long. He threw the body over by the tracks.
Jenn: "Did you throw it on the tracks? Then a train can really smash it!"
Matt:" Here's the shovel, I'm going inside."
Pete: "I've got to wash the snake blood off my legs before I can go to McCook."
Me: "Thanks boys"
Just another conversation at the Holmes'!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor snake!